Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Words to Live By

If you can fill the unforgiving minute

With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,

Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,

And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!"

Rudyard Kipling


I've been running in the HKC the past couple of days as I've been readjusting to the heat. My runs on that little 200m track always go by so quickly and I feel fast. Partly because I run each lap in under 60 seconds, partly because I go blowing by all the walkers/joggers, and partly because I get bored quickly - so I run faster than what I normally do outside. I've also been putting in at least an hour a day on the elliptical. I've found that the little personal TVs on each machine have me spoiled. I can watch my daily episode of Bones (Dr. Brennan's hyper-rational behavior is a turn on) while getting a good aerobic workout in.

Tonight I set our for an easy 7.5 mile run. I started off pretty conservative, given that I hadn't run outside the past few days and I didn't want to get 4 miles into the run and have to stop (again). I got to about mile 5 feeling great. I checked my watch and I was at just over 39:30. A little surprised with the ease of the pace, I picked it up a bit and hit 7.5 miles in a hair over 59-minutes. I decided to continue with another 3-miles to give me 10.5 miles. I finished in 1:23:14. Not only is that the longest run I've done, ever. But it was at a pretty decent clip and felt remarkably easy. I have no doubt I could have knocked out another 4 miles at the same pace. This just makes me even more excited for the Half-Marathon this January. I can't wait for the weather to cool off. If I can stay healthy, I feel this could be a very good Fall/Winter for me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment