Saturday, August 8, 2009

Thoreau

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." - Henry David Thoreau (Walden)

This quote has a special meaning to me, and anytime I feel like I'm struggling to succeed in the ultra-competitive world of collegiate athletics I always resort back to this quote. It reminds me that the key to success in endurance running is dedication over an extended period of time and an unwavering desire to improve oneself. If one can stick to the training and truly apply themselves they will not only see their physical abilities improve, but they will discover who they really are and they truly find themselves in this world. Of all the success stories I've had with athletes in my short coaching career, I don't think I'll ever be more proud of any athlete than I am with the two athletes that come to mind every time I see this quote. They have done more for me than they will ever know and I will forever be indebted to them.

I had another very good run tonight. I knocked out 6.45 miles in 48:38 (~7:32/mile) around the streets of Huntsville. I've been spending quite a bit of time on the elliptical and I feel like that is having a strong, positive impact on my running. I felt smooth and undercontrol the entire run. I'm excited to get back into the full swing of training after next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment