Thursday, September 3, 2009

Life's Interruptions

Tuesday morning I woke up at 4am so that I had time to run prior to having set up for practice at 6am. I had debated with myself if this was a good idea, and I tried to convince myself that the extra sleep I would be getting by sleeping until 5:30am would do me some good, as I could just wait to run in the evening (personally, I prefer the morning). But I decided against that thought and woke up early to get my run done. I ran 8 miles at Forest Hills with my last 3 miles in 22:20. Practice went well with the team afterwards and I made it through most of the day without feeling any undue fatigue from the early morning.

At about 3pm I received a phone call from my mom, asking if I could come home (to Lockhart) that night so that I could take her to the hospital for surgery in the morning. Her doctor had discovered melanoma on her right calf a few weeks ago. I knew she was going to have surgery and I had been making plans to be able to come home whenever she had it scheduled to make sure she had a ride to and from the hospital and to make sure her recovery was going okay. However, she was expecting it to be in mid September. I quickly tied up some loose ends to make sure my team knew what to do while I was gone and that my classes were either covered by another professor or cancelled/rescheduled. I also had to make sure everything was prepped for our first XC competition on Friday. After all that and getting the teams afternoon practice started I left to go to my house, throw some clothes in a bag and head to Lockhart. I got to Lockhart at about 10:30pm and I was exhausted from the long day. Needless to say, I'm now glad I woke up at 4am to run, otherwise I may have had to miss a day in my running streak.

Her surgery went well and she's doing just fine. I'm getting all my running in (though I'm missing the elliptical) and I can't wait to get back to Huntsville Friday morning.

Run Streak = 54 days

No comments:

Post a Comment