Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Breaking Barriers.... at all costs

“My feeling is that any day I am too busy to run is a day that I’m too busy.” —John Bryant, deputy editor of the London Times

I woke up at 4am again so that I had time to run prior to the teams workout and getting the day started. Amazingly, it's not as difficult to do this as I thought it would be.

I got started running around 4:30am with a 2 mile warm up. A half-mile into the warm up I passed the 1500 mile mark for the year. I'm a little OCD about many things, but in particular my mileage. I keep track of it to the nearest 5-hundreths, so I figure this 1500 mile total is about as accurate as it could be. After the warm up, I proceeded with the day's scheduled workout, which as a 4 Mile Tempo Run. After debating with myself of whether I should do it on the road or on the track, I ultimately opted for the road. When I'm on the track I obsess about times and paces too much and I don't think leads to effective training for me. To add to the emphasis of running on feel, I had no idea where the mile markers were for my route, so the entire run was strictly off of feel. I ended up running a 3.95 mile tempo run in 28:13.6 (7:08.4/mile). I was quite pleased with the run. Especially considering it was a hilly course (150ft elevation change). A two mile cool down put my at 8 miles for the day.

Run Streak = 59 days

No comments:

Post a Comment