Friday, September 18, 2009

More Threshold Running

I've been focusing lately on improving my bodies ability to utilize glycogen by trying to get as much running as I can in at 6:45/mile to 7:30/mile. My plan Thursday was to warm up, run 4 miles at my 12.5k race pace on the track, followed by some hill repeats and a cool down.

I felt sluggish in the warm up. I haven't been sleeping much lately, simply because I've been busy. I usually wake up around 5am, and don't get to bed until 10pm (at the earliest). I think this is why I've been feeling a little sluggish. I got done with my two mile warm and proceed into the workout. My goal pace was right around 7:00/mile. I ran 7:10 for my first mile and wasn't feeling too hot. Mostly, I don't think I was extremely motivated to do this workout. I seriously thought about stopping and just continuing on with just a few easy miles. However, my competitive instincts wouldn't allow this. I ran 7:09 for the second mile. After passing the halfway point I was feeling a bit better and decided to pick up the pace a bit, if no other reason than to finish sooner. I ran 6:54 for the third mile, followed by 6:42 for the last mile for a final time of 27:56 (6:59/mile). So I averaged right about what I wanted to and felt pretty good the last two miles after picking the pace up a bit. I got in a quick 8x100m uphill and a mile cool down to give me 8.25 miles for the day.

It was a good run and I'm looking forward to my 5k Race on October 3rd.

Run Streak = 69 days

No comments:

Post a Comment