Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Tempo Run

Yesterday (Tuesday) I ran a tempo run on the service road along I45, starting at the gravel parking lot by the state park. I ran 3 miles out, turned around and ran back. I did this run 3 weeks ago and ran 42:12 (7:02/mile). This time I did the same run, but ran it in 41:17 (6:52/mile).... ALMOST A FULL MINUTE FASTER!!!! I didn't look at my watch the entire run (though I did hit the split button every mile) and I was really surprised I ran as fast as I did. I figured I had run in the mid 42s. My splits were a little all over the place, but I think that has to do with the hills on the route. I ran 6:37-7:00-6:42-7:10-7:00-6:45 (downhill on the way out and uphill on the way back). I made a conscience effort to pick the pace the last two miles and I was surprised how well I was able to pick it up in the end. It felt good and I was quite pleased with how well it went. This is on pace for a 43-minute 10k, sub 69-minute 10 miler, and almost 90-minute half-marathon. I feel my fitness is very good at the moment and I'm looking forward to the winter break and focusing on training (and nothing else).

1 comment:

  1. I'm ready to see the 10hr training cycle unfold.

    ReplyDelete