Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Workout

Everything has been going great with training. Almost too well. I've been running workouts and mileage runs faster than what I expect to and the effort feels easier than what I expect. I keep trying to challenge myself by setting my target workout times a bit quicker each time, but each run seems too easy. I breeze through most of mileage runs like it's nothing. I've been on a steady diet of 60+ mile weeks and I'm reaping the rewards of that right now. In this final two full training weeks prior to backing off I'm trying to log 80 miles each week.

This morning it was below freezing when I woke up. So I put off my workout for a few hours to let it warm up some. I ended up getting to the track around 11am, but their were still ice in certain spots in the stadium that hold water. It was also a bit breezy down the back stretch, but nothing I couldn't handle.

I ran 4 miles in the track in 26:24.1 (6:36/mile). My average heart rate during the run was 88% of my max and my mile splits were 6:38-6:39-6:33-6:32. I then took a 3 minute rest (400m jog) and did 4x400m with 3 minutes (400m jog) between each repetition. I ran 1:21-1:26-1:26-1:24.

I finished up with a 2.5 mile cool down around campus. It was nice running around campus as their was not a sole out and about. I felt like Will Smith in the movie I Am Legend. Quite unique experience running when it was that quiet out.

*I split 13:05.8 in my last 3200m of the threshold run, which is technically faster than my current 3200m PR. I averaged 6:36/mile for the entire run, which is the pace I average for the 5-Mile Turkey Trot I did on Thanksgiving Day. I'm thinking I should be able to run under 40-minutes for 10k, if I ran on the track (or a flat road course). I never thought I'd be able to do that. I'd like to get into a road race somewhere before the Houston Half-Marathon, but I don't know if that's going to be possible. I may have to settle for a time trial on the track. Hopefully I can talk a couple of my athletes into pacing me for a while. I'm still not sure what distance I want to run. We'll see....

No comments:

Post a Comment