Monday, July 20, 2009

It's Been a While

It's been a while since I've been able to make a post. I've been at my mom's house in Lockhart for a few days and she doesn't have the internet (or a TV), so I've been bored the past couple of days. This has led me to run 10-15 miles more this week past week than I originally planned (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

The first thing I did Friday morning was register for the Houston Aramco Half-Marathon on January 17. It's good thing I didn't procrastinate on that as the race was full by 8:45 that same evening. I have a few friends who waited and missed out on registering. I've never run a half-marathon (my longest run has been about 10 miles). I'm going to bump my mileage up a bit and really focus on long steady running and really improve my lactate threshold. After doing a lot of repetition work the past 6 weeks I'm looking forward to getting back to mileage runs and threshold work. If I take care of my body and stay healthy until then I feel like I should be able to run quit well.

For fun I did a 400m time trial the other evening. I haven't really prepared for it. The fastest I've run in the past several months was a set of 200s at about 35-36 seconds, but I wanted to see what I could run. Unlike a real quarter miler, I negative split with a 35.5 first 200m and 34.6 second 200m for a final time of 70.1-seconds. That is about what I thought I'd run, but it's nothing to write home about. I now of something to shoot for if I ever decide to train for a 400m dash.

Tomorrow morning I leave for Colorado for a week. I'll be in Boulder for the first few days at the USATF Level II Education Program. I got my level 2 certification last year in the endurance events and I'm going to focus on getting my certification in the jumping events now. I'm going to stay a few extra days and see the sights in Colorado Springs and Denver. I've never been to Colorado, so I'm looking forward to this trip. I'm also looking forward to the cooler weather (hopefully the altitude won't disrupt my running much). It should be a nice working vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment