Friday, July 31, 2009

If you can run in Huntsville, Texas.... you can run anywhere!

I've determined that traveling is a double edged sword. While I enjoy traveling to new places and having new experiences, I hate things that interrupt my normal routine. It always seems to take me 7-10 days to re-adjust once I get home. I'm definately feeling the heat and humidity. I was in Colorado just long enough to get spoiled, now it's back to reality. I finished my 7.5 mile run this morning covered in sweat. I literally looked like I climbed straight out of a swimming pool.... AND THIS WAS AT 7AM! Not once was I covered in sweat at the conclusion of run in Colorado. I also noticed that my average pace was a few seconds per mile slower than the pace I was running in Colorado Springs (+6500 ft). This is the effect that this heat and humidity can have on you, but you never really realize it until you've exprienced something different. I've always said that it takes more discipline and dedication to be a distance runner in SE Texas (particularly in the summer) than anywhere else in the country, and I stand by that statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment