Sunday, March 14, 2010

Back in the Groove

I would classify the past two weeks as a full return to running. I've run 47 miles each of the past two weeks with some weight training and time on the bike/elliptical both weeks.

I ran the Bayou City Classic 10k yesterday and ran 42:17.2 (6:49.2/mile). I was quite pleased with the results, considered I've only averaged 36 mpw during the past 6 weeks with NO quality workouts. My goal was to run under 43:40 (7:00/mile) and not have any mile slower than 7:10. I ended up running my first two miles in 6:45 each. A bit faster than what I wanted to do and I wasn't feeling great, but I figured I'd go with this and see what happened. I ran my first 5k in 21:06 and closed in 21:10. I thought I would run my last 5k faster, as I was able to pick up the pace and passed quite a few people. But I guess that was because everyone else was slowing down quite a bit. It was a good run and I'm pleased with it. I've decided to focus my training on the 5k/10k throughout the summer and I'll start preparing for a marathon next winter. I may run a half-marathon this summer when I vacation to Hawaii, but I'm not going to prepare for that as vigorously as I did the Half in January.

This morning I did a two hour workout that mixed running and biking. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but never got around to it as I'm usually too busy. But I drove out the the Hunters Camp off of 4 Notch Rd in the Sam Houston National Forest. I dropped my bike off with some water and an energy bar. I drove back to my house and proceeded to run the 10.25 mile route out to the Hunters Camp. It took my 1:20:30 to run out there (7:51/mile). Once I got there I spent about 5 minutes re-hydrating and eating my energy bar. I hopped on the bike and rode back home. It took me about two hours for the round trip which was a pretty good workout. With the nicer weather it's much easier to get out and spend a good amount of time outdoors. I hope to do some kayaking as well here in the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment