Wednesday, November 11, 2009

6 Mile Tempo Run

“Running to him was real, the way he did it the realest thing he knew. It was all joy and woe, hard as diamond; it made him weary beyond comprehension. But it also made him free.” —John L. Parker (Once A Runner)

Training has been going so well lately that as soon as I'm done with a run/workout, I immediately start thinking about the next run/workout. I anandoned my highly structured (translation: obsessive cumplusive) training program a few weeks ago and I've been running off of feel. I've been putting in 60-65 miles per week with two quality workouts a week and a Sunday long run. So far it's going well. This model gives me the freedom to adjust things as my work/personal schedule changes. At the present moment I am looking forward to the Winter Break. I've made plans to do absolutely nothing. I'm going to run, eat, sleep, and watch football. I hope to be able to get 3 consecutive weeks over 70 miles.

I decided to do a 6 Mile Tempo Run this morning. I've never done a tempo run this long, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I did it as an out-n-back on the feeder road by the state park. I ran my first mile a bit too quick and hit 6:35, I backed off and hit 7:15, 7:00, 7:11, 7:07, and 7:02 for my last 5 miles. My final time was 42:12.6 (7:02/mile). This puts me on pace for a 10k PR. All that really means is my current 10k PR is not accurate, as is my 3200m PR. It may be time for me to run a time trial to see exactly where I'm at from a fitness standpoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment