Sunday, September 12, 2010

Heat Wave

Training has been going quite well. I've averaged ~53 mpw over the past 8 weeks and I've been getting in some pretty good quality workouts. This past week I had a great interval workout, running 8x800m @ 3:17 w/2 min rest (200m jog). However, we have been hit by a little heat wave the past several days. I would be lying if I told you that it hasn't effected my training.

I was hoping to get a good 12.5-mile run this morning with an hour of it at 82-86% of my max heart rate. This is just a bit slower than my half-marathon race effort. The first half of the workout went well and I was running along at a nice clip. However, at about the half-way point I noticed that my heart rate kept hoovering around 87-88% of my max. I slowed down some, but with the heat, humidity and the hills it was almost impossible to get my heart rate to drop. I even slowed to a walk on 2 occasions just to get my heart rate back to 85%, but it was a mute point because as soon as I started running again it would shoot back to 87-88%, even at a slow jog. Once I got to the 92-minute mark in the run, I gave up and walked the remaining way back. I feel my fitness is good, but the heat/humidity the past couple of days has been ridiculous. I'm ready for cooler temps.

No comments:

Post a Comment